Monday, March 5, 2007

Still gaining

Claira gained another 8 ounces this week! I'd almost wonder if we were giving her to much, but I don't think that's possible at this point with this baby. I drilled her pediatrician today about her loss of interest in taking a bottle. I told him I felt like I was cheating and that it goes against everything I know as a mother. He said that we sort of are cheating but we have to with Claira because she won't do enough on our own. He suggested that we get the information on the heart cathyter next week and then decide what to do. This morning I tried giving her a bottle and she started choking, almost as if it was a new sensation to her. The pediatrician said he'd almost rather I didn't try for now to ensure she doesn't aspirate and aggravate the situation.
Her lungs sounded crackly today and with a normal baby that would be a scary sign ... possibly even hospitalization but again, she's just trying to get over pneumonia. I don't think I've ever heard of someone taking this long ... almost 5 weeks!

4 comments:

EGEastman said...

She is a sweetie.
I am rooting for her. If she can gain weight and manage without a bottle, maybe that is her way....
Love you all
Grandpa

mindyluwho said...

Love the new picture of her. That will be a memory for sure!

I feel for you. That's our job as mommies, to feed and care for our kids. You're doing it, just in a different way! Hang in there.

*Merry Girls* said...

8 oz. Wow, what good news!! Every ounce she gains is extra strength for her to get over pneumonia and prepares her little body for the road ahead. The eating is a difficult situation, but let it pass, consentrate on what you can control. Babies are amazing creatures and can adapt to all sorts of different challenges. Maybe eating is one she will over come later. You are doing an awesome job!

Unknown said...

She so cute. I know how overwhelming this is for you. My sone had an NG tube and then a PEG tube for over a year. He's been without it now for about 9 months and eating everything in site. There were many close calls when he stopped breathing or was diagnosed with "failure to thrive" he's two now and you would have never known he was a preemie with rsv and a cleft palate.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

Thank you David and Gina Brim for helping to express our gratitude for an amazing show of compassion and generosity.